I like to play a little game when new characters pop into my head for a story. Maybe you’ve done something similar with a new friend or romantic interest. I play a game of 21 Questions, but the game doesn’t always require a total of twenty-one. Using more or less questions, you can get to know the characters living inside your head.
Here are 15 fun questions I’ve used, and hopefully you can use these suggestions to inspire even more.
1. How old is he/she and what’s the maturity level?
2. Where did he/she grow up? (Is your character a city loving NYC native? Or from a military family and relocated a lot?)
3. What kind of childhood did he/she experience?
4. What words would you use to describe him/her? (loud, fun, sloppy, clumsy, hermit?)
5. If this was a love interest, what kind of emotional baggage would he/she confess?
6. Biggest fear? (Zombies? Commitment? Heights?)
7. What are his/her strengths and weaknesses?
8. What secrets would he/she keep from friends and family?
9. What are his/her passions? (Art lover? Looking to save the environment?)
10. Favorite food?
11. Optimist or pessimist?
12. Preferred style of clothing? (Casual dresser, dapper suits, or high maintenance always in heels?)
13. If your character could have lunch with one celebrity dead or alive, who might they choose?
14. If your character showed up at a party, how would he/she act? (Would they be the life of the party? Looking for a hook up? Sitting in a corner hiding?)
15. If he/she could travel anywhere in the world, (or perhaps even out of this world) where would he/she choose?
Hopefully these questions helped someone further develop their characters, and feel free to share other questions which might be fitting. I would also recommend keeping character Q&As on file with any other bios or notes you might use.